One of Congressman Goodlatte's most important responsibilities is to make sure the federal government is working for you. If you can't get an answer from a federal agency in a reasonable time or you've been treated unfairly, we're here to help resolve the problem or get you the information you need. In order for the office to best serve you, please send a completed privacy release form as well as a letter outlining the difficulties you are experiencing and any pertinent information, including claim numbers or action already taken, to the Sixth District office in your area. We look forward to helping you with these questions or issues. Below are several of the common issues we hear about:

Veterans: Problems with veterans benefits, eligibility determinations, VA home loans, and replacements of medals earned.

Social Security: Help with Social Security benefits, eligibility, or missing checks.

Immigration: We can help with inquiring about the status of your non-immigrant visa, immigrant visa, adjustment of status or naturalization application, petition, or interview. My office may also assist in expediting your application under certain government-met criteria.  My office cannot assist with any cases that are pending within the legal system. Click here to download the specific privacy release form for immigration-related inquiries.

Passports: Getting passports in an emergency, lost passports, and overseas travel restrictions.

Privacy Release Form

Residents of the Sixth Congressional District can contact Congressman Goodlatte's office for assistance in dealing with Federal agencies. In order to better serve you, this form will generate a printable page that you should sign and either mail, fax, or scan to Congressman Goodlatte's office.

Please include all pertinent information and claim numbers in your correspondence, such as:

  • Your Social Security number for a case involving Social Security;
  • VA claim number for a case with Department of Veterans Affairs;
  • Taxpayer identification number (Social Security number, if individual) for an Internal Revenue Service problem, etc.;
  • Your address, home phone number and daytime phone number (if different than home) so that we can obtain any additional information from you that might be necessary;
  • Copies of any related documents or correspondence that you may have from the agency involved;
  • Signed Privacy Release Form. For all immigration-related inquires, please click here to download the privacy release form. We must have your signature to proceed.

Please Note: The Privacy Act of 1974 (5 U.S.C. § 552a) requires that Members of Congress or their staff have written authorization before they can obtain information about an individual's case.

**If you are in need of immediate assistance from Congressman Goodlatte within the next 24 to 48 hours, please call the Sixth District office closest to you. Otherwise, you are encouraged to submit your request for assistance via email and it will be answered in a timely manner.